Tuesday, July 25, 2006

TENTS, BATHS, AND RAISINS IN THE SUN



I DID IT!
I set up this tent with the help of the kids and we were planning on camping out in the yard last evening. Things didn't work out, so tonight we were planning on the same scenario. Now, it seems, Clovis (youngest) and I are about to venture fifteen feet outstide the door and camp, just the two of us. The two older girls went over to a friend's house at a last moment's notice. No big deal. We'll camp out there with just two instead of four. We did make a bonfire of sorts this evening, all of us. We have this fire pit thing I bought husband last August for his Bday. I started a fire in it two nights ago and enjoyed it so much that I thought we'd do it again. Except this time, we had s'mores. It was funny because today at WalMart while getting groceries, I knew there were graham crackers up in the cabinet at home, so I didn't buy any. When it came time to make the s'mores tonight, we were taking our first bites, and the darn things were stale as all get out. Chewy graham crackers. A girl that was over here trying to have Mak (computer savvy, remember) save her iPod, had the s'mores treats with us. She was laughing because she came inside and checked the date on the graham cracker box and it was Dec. 16, 2005! I am a horrible mother, aren't I? Feeding my poor children stale, outdated food. What has my parenting come to? Oh well, every one of the kids ate the tasty treats just fine. They had seconds, even.
Right now Clovis is in the ginormous whirlpool tub. She loves to take those kinds of baths. However, as I am trying to type here, the power surges and the lights dim while she tries to start the jets. I immediately jump up, running to the rescue. Nope, they won't work. Now just one more thing to add to my list of things to worry about. Husband won't be home tomorrow evening, so that means said tub will not be looked at until Thurs. That is wayyyy tooo loooonnnnggg to wait to cross that off the worry list. Well, back to square one. Anxious again.
In other news...Mak got her hair highlighted today. She actually looks girly! Can't believe it. She does look cute, really. She is officially "middle schoolish" now. And can anyone guess how much Husband had to pay up? $60.00 You heard me right. Way too much. Now we can't eat for a couple of days. Just kiddin'.
Have left a voice mail and an email to principal of middle school I interviewed at last week. Have heard NOTHING. How disrespectful can people get? I swear, I could just rant and rave for pages on the bureaucracy of the education system these days. Unbelievable.
School starts in about two weeks here. That is unreal, too. I can add that to worry list as well - homework, bedtimes, shower order (who goes first, second, next to last, last = huge arguments at my house over this one), and more. I, for one, am not really ready. Anyone else in the same boat?
The worry list is growing exponentially as I sit. School supplies, school clothes, sports physicals, yadda yadda yadda. Gosh. Can't I hire someone to do some of these things for me? Where is good help when you need it?

CONFESSION: I love the Young and the Restless. I have wanted to be on that soap opera since grade school. I'm not on it, but I can live vicariously through the characters that I know I could portray. For instance, next week I could be one of those fill-ins for a character and the voiceover could say at the time I walk on screen: "Today, the character of Phyllis Abbott will be portrayed by Nina (last name)." I would be in seventh heaven. Can't really do that from a den chair in the Midwest, now can ya? Shoot. Dream deferred.

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore-
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat
Or crust and sugar over-
Like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
Like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?
-Langston Hughes

No comments: