Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Blast from the Past


Last night, in a bout of insomnia, I watched the David Letterman show. We usually tape it and then watch it the next evening, but since I was wide awake, I thought I'd watch it real-time. Boy, am I glad I did. The first guest was none other than one of my all-time favorites, PeeWee Herman! (Paul Reubens, real name) If you want to view a bit of nostalgia, click on the following: PeeWee's Playhouse. I can remember watching this show and falling in love with Chairy. Remember? The mint green chair that talked. Loved her. Back in the day I could entertain my family for hours with the bits from the show. Last night on Letterman, they showed a clip from the original PeeWee show involving PeeWee's big underwear. Classic! PeeWee was swinging in them, made a turban out of them, and let them flow behind him saying, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel...let down your hair." I was dying.

In other news...I called my girls last night to see how they are doing on vacation with Nana and Papaw. Clovis, the youngest, (not her real name - story on that another time for those of you who don't already know) got on the phone first, naturally. She can't function if she isn't up my crack. She said to me, "Mommy, you're a grandma!" I thought it would be many years before I would hear those words, yet my 8 year old is telling me my worst fear. Grandma at such a young age... She and my oldest daughter "adopted" Boyd's Bears in Tennessee. My mom said it was so cute. The place they did this takes their pictures with their adopted bears in front of a stork and everything. The girls had to fill out paperwork so that they will get their bears' birth certificates in the mail at home. Kids love mail! (Parents hate it because it is nothing but bills. )
So, I am a grandma. Thank goodness I don't look like one yet. I'm surely not ready for that.
Oldest daughter, Mak, told me this: "Mom, Nana bought Cam (middle daughter - age 11) a 'push-up' bra. It makes her KNOCKERS look like five times bigger than what they are!"
My reaction: "Mak! Why do you call them that?!"
Mak: "Well, that's what Dad calls them"...laughing hysterically
Now, I must explain that by "Dad", she means her real father, not her stepfather. See why we divorced? Thought so. Saying KNOCKERS in front of three girls who are impressionable, pre-teen beings. Knockers. Unreal. If she calls Cam's boobs "knockers", I'd hate to see what she calls mine!
(*Picture is of Pak, Mak - blue shirt, and Cam - white shirt)

No comments: