Thursday, September 07, 2006

Happy 50th to me...happy 50th to me...

My fiftieth post. Wow. They really do add up fast. To you pros out there, fifty seems infant. But to me, it is somewhat of a milestone. I vow to make it fifty more at least.

Beer bread - it was a hit yesterday. I had about two pieces left over and that was all! Two of the four kids liked it. Husband liked it. I loved it, go figure. Bread + Me = True Love 4 Ever. 'Nuff said. Following are some comments heard last evening while the bread baked:

~ does it have BEER in it?

~ man, this tastes like beer!

~Is that why I saw an empty beer can in the trash?

~Beer, yum...I'm not even allowed to drink beer yet. (Eleven year old MALE, imagine that!)

~ I like it.

~ I don't think it tastes like anything.

Recipe is as follows, if you are brave enough to combat the comments at your house:

BEER BREAD
Ingredients:
3 Cups flour
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
12 oz. beer
3 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon honey

Directions:
Grease loaf pan. Mix flour, salt, baking powder. Combine with beer and honey in large bowl. Stor together until well mixed. Spread batter in pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until browned and a wooden pick comes out clean.

Cool completely before slicing.
(I ran a stick of butter over the top right after it came out of the oven. I let it cover the top of the bread, but only used a little bit. That turned out well. )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The pear bread turned out very moist, but I did not like the taste as well as some people did. Now, my oldest daughter loved it - the one who did NOT like the beer bread. So, it is not predictable.
I took the pear cake to work and the teachers seemed to love it. Of course I was haggled and called Martha Stewart (as an insult) because they know I have four children and wonder 'how I had the time' to make things. I digress...
The cake would have been better if I'd had time to whip up a cream cheese icing and put on it. The recipe called for no icing, but it would have really made a big difference. If you like spice cake or apple cake and the like, it would be good for you to try.

So, beer bread is declared the winner in the bake off of last evening. After all, did I really expect anything to win over booze infused food? Duh.
Emeril and I will be coming to a city near you. Check your local listings.

No comments: