Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Crimson and Cream of the crop


The Indiana Hoosiers' football team has struggled over the years. Being an alumnae, I am heartsick over the fact that sometimes I have to root for a losing team. Make that most of the time, not sometimes. Things are changing, though. Wins, determination, and dedication are the result of the coach of the team, Terry Hoeppner. Therein lies another difficulty - the coach had to undergo his second brain tumor surgery yesterday.
Can you imagine being in your fifties and having two brain surgeries? All the while being the coach of a Big Ten university? Not really a small deal, if you ask me.
According to reports, Coach Hoeppner is resting and recovering well. He's got fight in him, I'll give him that!

I hope he has a speedy recovery. The team needs his enthusiasm and spark. Come back soon, Coach.

In other news...

My students have gone and done it. They brought out the bitch today. Yep, you heard it here first. I wrote up a student today and my claws were out while I did it. I had to get mean, which I don't normally do. I had had enough of this kid. His attitude and mouth - that's what sealed the deal for him. He is one of those kinds of kids who think school is just for punishment, and that staying awake in class is just too much to ask. The world must revolve around him, or so he thought. It all started with him asking if he could go to the nurse. He asked less than halfway through class, which was the last class of the day. He had made it all day, didn't look ill, and so I asked why. He said, "So I can sleep." I told him absolutely not. He then began mumbling under his breath. I began a discussion with him. I was getting angry as the discussion went along. He was too, because he just couldn't understand why his request was so out of line. After he made comments about hating the class and that what we do is stupid, I gave him a one way ticket to the office. As I was writing it, he had the balls to say, "Did I do so much that you have to write for five minutes about me?" (answer: yes) I put on the discipline referral that I request him to be moved out of my class due to the fact that I just can't stand his bad attitude and disregard for what I am trying to do in the class. He wasn't happy, but neither was I. Kids: you can't love 'em all, and you can't hate 'em, either. Hopefully he'll learn a little something from the incident. I'm hoping, anyway.

Until tomorrow's school day...

1 comment:

Paige said...

NINA!!! I just remembered! I forgot to tell you that Mac's teacher (you know, the one you want me to scare the crap out of just so we can have fun?) ... is a HOOSIER! Hold on. I'll forward you the email I sent her the first week of school....