Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mega Birthday, MTV!




HAPPY BIRTHDAY, I'll say. Can you believe that back on August 1, 1981 the legendary MTV began? If you are anything like me, it seems like it has been in existence forever. I remember the logo of the astronaut landing on the moon, staking his MTV flag on the surface. Does anyone else remember that? I can't believe that was 25 years ago today. Yes, you heard me, 25 years. That is the age of the friend I spoke of yesterday. She was freshly hatched while MTV was blossoming itself. Know what the first video shown was? Video Killed the Radio Star. Can anyone hum the tune to that one? I thought so. It all came rushing back to me this morning as I watched the infamous channel. Kurt Loder? Anyone remember him? Gosh, all the early VJ's. I wanted to be one. Dream job. Of course, I was only around twelve at the time. Impressionable.
The channel doesn't even have Headbanger's Ball anymore. They've moved beyond that, thank goodness. Now they are phat, dope, sweet, tight, etc. (New verbage...) I must confess, I still like it. I love Laguna Beach, The Hills, The Real World. I can remember the first season of The Real World. I loved it! I'm so young at heart, I still adore the show today. Call me immature. ***Note: Picture is of Real World cast member Eric Neis, season 1.***

In other news: I can't remember if I told you I finished reading Anne Tyler's Digging to America?? I did. Took me a day and a half, I think. Good book. It is about adoption, heritage, losing loved ones, envy, etc. Good themes.

The heat index is well over a hundred degrees and I am feeling it. My head is about to explode. One of those summers that I wish I was either A) close to the ocean or other body of water, or B) had a pool in my own yard. See, in my small town living, we don't have a "city pool". Have to drive to get to one. One of the many perks. So not only does one have to pay for gas to drive to a pool, but one has to pay for five or six persons to get into said pool. Not good.

As fate would have it, I got wonderful news in the mail yesterday. There was an envelope addressed to the Husband from Northwoods Ohio Police Department. I immediately took the liberty to open it, hoping he wasn't a newfound criminal. Indeed, it was of legal matter. There, in complete color photos was our family Envoy, license plate number visible, near an industrial park along a roadway. The picture looked like a familiar place. The date did match when we were on our excursion to the lovely, desolate, Toledo. Looking at the time, I figured out that I must have been the driver of the vehicle on the date stated because my husband was in a training session at that time of day. What does this matter, you ask? It matters about $90.oo. I was "photographed" by a video surveillance police camera thing speeding - 50mph in a 35mph zone. Reluctantly, I told my husband immediately out of guilt. He said no big deal, couldn't change the facts. He did say that he was going to write the department a nasty letter, telling them how great that was for tourism and that we would, indeed, not be back. Of course I can't contest this ticket, it is on film! What gets me is a couple of things. First, I was in an unfamiliar place, looking for the right factory entrance to pick up my husband with four kids in a vehicle. I wasn't quite paying attention to my speed, or the speed limit. I just wasn't! Secondly, why have police if they are being replaced by idiot machines that can take pictures of "crimes"? Oh, I know, I'm just bitter. You're right. I don't want to pay it. But, I will so that I can keep my license and drive my kids to all of their events. Gosh.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

My city had speeding lights also. There is a way around the ticket. But check into it first. If I remember right... anyway, here it's this way... Who is the car registered to? Your hub? But he wasn't driving... so he can contest that he doesn't know who is driving.. and it can get dropped... anyway... it can in my town. I've never done it.. HONEST! But I've seen the ticket that you're talking about. Some of the construction guys run lights and we in the office get to see their mug before it's taken to them to 'discuss'. We always pay the ticket. Anyway... my two cents.

And... I hate to admit it... but I don't have cable and never watched MTV, but Happy Birthday anyway!

Paige said...

You and I must be about the same age. I TOTALLY remember the MTV flag on the moon thing.

And I got one of those photo-tickets when we first got here. I was driving, with Dillon reading the map and just glanced down at the map for a second to make sure he was on the right page. When I looked up, the light was yellow and as I didn't know how long it had been yellow and didn't have time to stop, I went through it. It was DEFINITELY orange. And several weeks later, via San Diego (because my car is still tagged there) , Lafayette (because my mailing address was there) and back to DC, I got my ticket for almost $100. Including the photo. Undeniable.

(Damn. I just re-read. I'm older than you...but just a smidge. :))

Nina said...

Thanks, ladies. At least I am not the only one who has had this happen. (I knew I wasn't, but damn, it sure feels like it when you open that piece of mail.)

Brenda - I am truly saddened that you don't have cable. No Project Runway, Supernanny, or the Real World - I'm sorry.

aka Brandi - funny that you tried to figure out just how much older you are than me. haha. It's okay. You don't even look thirty. Fuggeda boud id. No sweat.