Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Oh baby.

Today was the first day of school with students present for me. It went well, though I am sooooo tired. This was my first experience with block scheduling, which means I had to instruct class sessions for 90 minutes at a time. For a high schooler, this was a long period of time. College classes are another story, but high school kids have trouble staying focused. So, I came up with a couple of ways of breaking up the time period. It worked for today, so I'll run with it. I did get a couple of great compliments from a special education teacher who was with me for two blocks today. She commented on how great of a job I was doing and how she liked my "style" of teaching. I told her thank you and that I wasn't sure I would be able to label my techniques as having a certain style, persay, but the boost of confidence was welcomed.

In other news...
One of my good friends is having In Vitro done this week. Her eggs are being harvested, if that is the right word, tomorrow and then fertilized for Sunday's activities where doctors will put them back in her girl parts. I am not well educated on this, as you can tell from my verbage, but I wish her all the luck in the world. She and her husband have been trying for years to get pregnant. I hope this is the ticket. I talked to her tonight and she told me that she has not had one drop of alcohol nor any tobacco products for over three weeks in preparation for this. I could understand why she said she had been sort of grumpy today. Plus, she admitted, she is nervous. I asked her if the procedure would be painful and she said yes, that tomorrow's would be. She said that they stick a needle into her uterus and suck out her eggs from her ovaries that way. Ouch. Yes, pain would be involved. I am actually kind of nervous for her. I was a Fertile Mertile and didn't ever have to worry about pregnancies NOT happening. I feel for her. I hope she has a baby with this procedure. She told me her first pregnancy test would be Sept. 1. We'll see - keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: