Sunday, August 06, 2006

Well, Kiss My Bricks!











Today was the running of the Allstate 400, otherwise known as the Brickyard 400 in Indiana. Jimmy Johnson was the winner today and did a traditional brick kissing along with his pit crew. (I sure was hoping that Tony Stewart would get the chance to kiss those bricks for the second time in his career, but to no avail. He did do well, finishing in the top ten after starting near the back. Sure, he's an ass. That's why I like him so much. He tells it how it is, and doesn't care who likes him for it or not. My kinda guy. )
The yard of bricks at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway make up the start/finish line. They are very visible from the straight between turns four and one. The track is beautiful, and rather large. I have attended two Brickyard 400s in my time. It is definitely something to see at least once. The parents and myself used to camp out at the Coca-Cola lot. It is a large lot owned by none other than Coca-Cola, go figure. No free samples have ever been given to me there. You'd think that would be great promotion, but no. I thought about setting up a Pepsi stand just for spite. I haven't been up there in a few years. It is easier to watch it on TV, as I did today. It really is more special when you watch a race or any other event on television, when you actually can identify with the location. I like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Gasoline Alley is something else. And the roar that those Nascar cars and Indy cars make is earth shattering.
When you are in the crowd and you hear those famous words: "Gentleman, start your engines!", it sends chills down your spine. I can't imagine the adrenaline rush those drivers get behind the wheels of the monsters they drive. I think I could do it. After all, I can get a ticket for speeding on the highways of Ohio. Why can't I drive as fast as I possibly can and win money for it on a track made for speed? Sign me up. Tony, get me a car, STAT. Better luck next year, Stewart.

No comments: