Friday, August 04, 2006

Trash to treasure

Today was the first day of the big "garage" sale. More like a carport sale, really. Last night around nine o'clock, it started to look very yellow in the sky, like a three day old bruise. Then, out of nowhere, it started to monsoon rain, soaking the things nearest to the edge of the carport. The kids and I had to run out, move things toward the middle of the carport, and dodge the pouring rain. It was quite unbearable. Plus, the carport cement is like that smooth, roller skating cement that, when wet, seems like a sheet of ice. Very slick, indeed! So, we had to jump that hurdle, too. It all worked out. The rain lasted maybe a half an hour. Today, it was not as humid, and actually nice outside. Good day for a sale. Plus, I sold my couch and loveseat by 11am! "One man's trash is another man's treasure" as they say. Excellent.

Right now, as I type this, my middle daughter (age 11) is upstairs with the electric razor shaving her legs for the first time. I have come under fire lately by friends and family for not letting her shave them up to this point. See, she is very dark-headed, so she is quite hairy. But, at the same time, I tried to defend myself, telling all that I know once shaving is started, there is no turning back. She has been shaving her armpits for some time now, and that is the case with her pits already - she has to do it almost every day. Boy, am I thankful that I have blond hair on my arms and legs. Still! Even though the hair on my head isn't truly blond, those body parts are, which results in shaving less. They are all growing up...

We went school supply shopping at my favorite store tonight - Target. It was difficult to stay focused on what we were there for - you know how it is if you are a Target Addict. Tough. Very tough. I did it, though. School supplies only for tonight. Afterward, we went to Fazoli's to eat. Real Italian, Real Fast. And it is Real Fun to puke it Real Soon After Eating. The belches that burn your throat - can't beat 'em. While there, the kids were making jokes, of course. Some are as follows:
I wonder if the Breadstick Lady's friends call her "The Breadstick Lady".
First name Bread, middle name Stick, last name Lady.
BSL would be her initials! Bread Stick Lady! hahahaahah
Ask her for two plus twenty more. See how many she gives us.
Did she just pass our table? Oh, maaaaaammm. We would like so like some more! Come back!

They were just going on and on. We had to just give up and leave, making them finish the breadsticks they already had. And, no, we did not get twenty-two! We do have limits as parents. Gosh.

No comments: