Thursday, February 19, 2009

Broken


My student came running in the room...
"Call the nurse. There's a boy out here with a broken arm!"
I casually smiled and replied, "Riiiiigggghhhhht."
"No, really," as the student smirked and was giggling a bit.
I went along grading my papers. I got up, went toward the door (where students were gathering, ready to go home), and met my next door teacher neighbor looking panicked. I instantly knew it was real.
"Did you call the nurse? Is she on her way down here yet?" she asked with fright in her eyes.
"No, I thought they were kidding!"
"No, it's for real."
I then turned and ran toward my phone, my heart in my throat. I saw the boy, another one of my students from first period, grimacing and pacing, holding his arm.
I called the nurse and told her that we needed her immediately because a student had broken his arm. I hung up the phone and went to the doorway again. I made my students, who had now gathered in a crowd, gasping and ooohing and aaahhing. I told them in a stern enough voice that they knew I meant business, to get back in the room and close the door, that Andrew needed his space. I also then made my neighbor teacher's kids get back in her room, too. Together we helped the hurt student to sit against the wall, though he didn't want to. He was literally green in the face. He was going into shock. I wanted to cry for him so badly! So, the end of the day bell rang and students were everywhere. Thank goodness the nurse had shown up with a wheelchair and we got him in it. Afterward, we wheeled him into my room so we could close the door, keeping the chaotic hallway activity out of sight. Once we got him into my room, he began sobbing, shaking, and rocking back and forth with pain. He was scared to death. I felt so badly for him! My heart ached for what he was going through. It took about fifteen minutes to get ahold of his mom, therefore complicating matters. I checked on him in the office before he got picked up and he was a little better. He wasn't shaking as badly or crying as hard. We were trying to take his mind off things by creating humor, and it worked to an extent. I told him he didn't have to go to such extremes to get out of today's essay assignment. He laughed at that.
I hope he is okay and is able to rest tonight. He had an eventful day! I won't forget this one for a while.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Poor Kid. How did it happen?

Nina said...

He and another boy were arm wrestling (arms on top of desks) and this girl came up, trying to be cute, and pushed their arms over hyperextending it. His elbow was in the pencil dip of the desk and it crunched it. Ouch.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the horror! This girl must feel awful. I can't believe I never did that. It sounds like my luck. I couldn't stand being in a school full of children of any age because of ALL the things that can and will happen on your watch. Better you than me, sistah.