Thursday, March 08, 2012

Saying a Lot

I know a girl who is sixteen whose mother is so mean to her. She does not deserve it. She's the sweetest girl. And her mom continues to berate her, treat her like a dog, threaten her, and embarrass her. The kicker is, her mom then tries to apologize and smooth things over, time and time again. Because that's how her mom was treated by her dad. The cycle continues. I feel so sorry for her. I wish I could wisk her away and bring her home with me to live. My kids would love her like a sister, and she would be loved by me. I had her in class a few years ago, and I loved her then. She is a great kid.
After tonight's tirade by her mother, I asked Cammi, who is her age, how she would feel if I talked to her the way this girl's mother talked to her. Cammi was honest and said she would cry, cry, cry. I would never think of talking to my child the way this mother talks to her children. I'm thankful that my kids don't have to live through that. I'm thankful that those times when I do get angry or frustrated with my kids, I have enough respect and self-control that I don't talk out of line to them. I guess there's one good way to look at the whole situation - it teaches me what NOT to do with my own kids. That's the only good I see in it. And maybe it teaches my teenage daughter to appreciate me as a mother. Otherwise, the situation sucks. Point blank.

No comments: