Friday, March 11, 2011

Thirteen

Thirteen years ago today I was in the throws of intense labor with my youngest daughter, Syd. We didn't have a name picked out, and it was tough going after she was born, trying to figure out the perfect name for her to be labled with the rest of her life. Mallory was one of our top choices, but it didn't come through. It was a day later when we finally named her Sydney. She, of course, wishes we had named her Mallory, but doesn't every kid wish they had a different name? That's funny how they do that.
I also remember it snowed the day she was born. I don't mean drizzle; I mean accumulation. I was baffled. She was also born on my college midterm day. It was my last semester. I missed my classics lit. course. Two weeks later, I was on campus (with the little one and my mom for help) in order to take the midterm I missed. I ended up with a "C" in the class. Didn't turn out to well for me. Ah, the days. My memories aren't crystal clear, but I can remember that class. I hated it. I didn't mind missing it for the birthing of my child, I can tell you that!
So, thirteen years ago today I can vividly remember where I was and what I was doing, can you?
Happy Birthday, Syd. Love you!

No comments: