Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It's like starting over.
Sending my daughter off to college is a little like starting your life over again. Since children don't really have the unlimited resources to purchase all of the household goods they need, the parent must pick up most of that tab. Sure, the child might have received some graduation money, but I feel that should be used for textbooks/tuition, etc. I mean, really, an eighteen year old with a part time, minimum wage job can't do it all.
Given all of that, lately I have been picking up things for Mak like measuring cups, spatulas, hamburger flippers, slotted spoons, a dust pan, and more. Believe me, that stuff adds up quickly. And as I purchase it, I begin thinking, "Oh, she's gonna need that. And, oh, yeah that, too. But what about that?" and so on. It's like starting my own adult life over again. Cleaners, shower curtain, wastebaskets, laundry baskets, detergent, fabric softener, dishes, pots, pans, dish soap, bar soap, towels, bed ensemble, curtains, and more. Pshew. A lot of stuff, no? And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Boy, I'm reminded now of why I had my kids when I was so young! I don't think I could handle this if I was much older. :)

No comments: