Monday, August 05, 2013

...back to school, back to school...

Today it begins. The intense, nerve-wracking, jaw-clenching, sleepless nights lying awake worrying kind of thing called school. Being a teacher, even though one might consider me a seasoned teacher, is one of the most difficult jobs in the world. Just think about it -- teachers are responsible for Every. Single. Profession. there is out there. We teach EVERYONE! Puts a lot of weight on our shoulders, doesn't it?? Yes, it does. And believe me, if a teacher is worth a darn, he/she takes that very seriously. That's why I have been tied up in knots for about the last two weeks. The start of school makes all the difference in the world. If you start off on the right foot, the year will go rather smoothly. If things get off to a rocky start, there may be no recovery from that. I worry about the first few days of school every year. You remember how you used to get butterflies the night before school started? Multiply that by a million. That's how it feels.
I try hard to be a confident person. Sometimes it just doesn't work. I think maybe that is a strength in this case, however. Because if I am not continually examining myself and my teaching practices, how can I get any better at my craft? That little twinge of lack of self-confidence might be the key to getting better and changing bad habits. I hope so, anyway.
I pray that this year is a great one! With a new textbook, I need prayers.
To all of the teachers out there -- good luck this year! I hope your year ROCKS!

No comments: